Psalm 119:32

"I run in the path of your commands,for you have set my heart free."







0

Pescado y Aji...something sure is fishy around here!

Ok so that was a really bad one, but I couldn't resist! I work in the kitchen 2 mornings a week and most everyday before lunch. Today it was just Luce and me in the kitchen until lunch. When I walked in at around 9 am she was picking out all of the bad peas, so I joined her. That didn't take too long, but that is when she told me we didn't have water (a common thing around here, but I think it may be fixed for a long time). Without water it is hard to cook. Mateo did bring us some water from a hose. I can certainly say that I have never cooked with hose water. I guess you really try something at least once! We also used some of the drinking water. (For those of you who aren't familiar with Peru, you do not drink the tap water...AT ALL!) Once the water problem was solved we were able to really start cooking.
First she had me chop onions and tomatoes. I almost started crying, because chopping onions for 70+ people is a lot of onions. After that we had to sort through the rice to get all of the bad rice out. I know this seems to be a common thing in this blog, but that is only because this rice was cheaper so someone got it....Elias..ha! So we sat there for a long time going through rice, and I know we didn't get it all. Then we made aji (pronounced ah-heee), which is a very Peruvian pica sauce that they use on evrything. This was for the fish. I looked over and Luce asked me if I could take the fish and marinate it in the aji. I told her I could help out that way. So she got the fish out. Now remember that while yes we do have access to the supermarkets, the real market is more inexpensive. And when you are feeding this many people you need fresh and inexpensive. So this means no freezer packaged Sysco fish like at camp or school...no this is fresh stinky fish. Heads, fins, tails, everything but the eyes. I looked over and she was taking the head, tail, skin, ect..off. It was no big deal to her. She then proceeded to throw some cut fish into my hands! I almost lost it. My stomach turned upside down and I think it did some break-dancing or something like it. I could feel the bones. GROSS! So with a blank expression in my face I started the marination process. I was so glad when we were done. Also very glad the aji was so spicy it drowned out the fish smell...well for a while.
After that it was time to cook the fish and she had me make more aji on the stove for the onions and tomatoes. It burned my nose, the pica was so strong! Finallly I was done and had to go lie down to not get sick. Then it was time for lunch....I went in and got rice with onions on top and then beans on the side. Then there was the fish. And it just stared at me, so did Luce. SHe smiled at me and looked happy that I was eating what I had helped with. I sat down at the table with my food and took a bit of the fish, when my stomach started its party again. I looked at Becca across from me and told her, "I can't do it. I can't eat this fish. I watched Luce chop it up and I helped cook it." She laughed and so I gave it to the girls. Thank goodness for girls who will eat anything!
I am sure I will have better and worse experiances in the kitchen but for now that tops it! Tonight me and Becca are making SWEET TEA!!!! We are stoked :)
Love from your onion and fish smelling hands!

0 walks down the lane:

Post a Comment

Walk in the grass