Psalm 119:32

"I run in the path of your commands,for you have set my heart free."







0

We wish you a Merry Christmas!


Christmas time is here....but is it bringing lots of cheer? And if so where does it come from?

Yes I do believe that for some odd reason people are much happier (well those I have encountered) this time of year. Maybe it has to do with all of the singing, yummy food (or panetone here in Peru), and all of the beautiful decorations. But then maybe it has to do with everyone you meet wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. But for those of us who know the real reason of Christmas I think we get our cheer for our Savior who so humbly came as a baby in a stinky manger one night in Bethlehem. We have something amazing to be joyful about. And I love that we can share that with our friends and even strangers on the street. What a joy it is to be saved and to be able to speak freely of what our Father has done for us!



I am extremely happy this Christmas. Yes it is very different, but in the big picture it is only one Christmas of many. I went through a rough time getting out of Peru and then trying to get back in, but through it all I was able to thoroughly enjoy a wonderful Thanksgiving with my family and then the beginnings of Christmas. The holiday music, the baking of delicious goodies, a few Christmas parties, warm winter coats and beautiful scarves, and of course the decorating of our tree! (which is real like always) Shame on you guys who have fake trees. So getting to enjoy those things has definitely helped me out now that I am here and am enjoying the sun and warm weather, the multitude of Peruvian Chocolataras (parties with hot chocolate and panetone), snow men and Santa decorations (neither of which they have here) and of course the traditional Peruvian Christmas party at midnight on the 24th.

I think that today, the eve of Christmas eve, I have truly experienced the true meaning of Christmas. I have wrapped birthday presents, eaten banana bread with friends, went to the store to buy ingredients for a breakfast for the kids on the 25th, eaten a delicious mango, played freeze tag with some of the little boys, practiced for an awkward Christmas dance with Peruvian friends, and helped a little girl clean the kitchen. And now as I listen to Christmas music and drink spiced tea I am realizing that Christmas is not the things and traditions we are so accustomed to or where we are used to being, but it is the LOVE that we give. The LOVE that was so freely given to us by that small little baby. That is Christmas. I pray that you too will experience Christmas in this was as well. Help out a neighbor, say hello to an old friend, or just wish a stranger a Merry Christmas, and see how much Christmas is in your heart and not in your bright decorations!




With love to you all!
-Susanna

0 walks down the lane:

Post a Comment

Walk in the grass